Christians resolved to study the Bible more fervently often struggle to grasp the progression of Scripture as a whole, instead encountering various passages each week through unrelated readings, studies, and sermons. But once they see the Bible as a Great Story, they begin to see how their own lives fit into what God has done and is doing in the world. New Testament scholar J. Scott Duvall and Old Testament expert J. Daniel Hays wrote Living God’s Word to help Christians consider how their lives can be integrated into the story of the Bible, thus enabling them to live faithfully in deep and important ways. They survey the entire Bible through broad themes that trace the progression of God’s redemptive plan. Each section deals with a certain portion of Scripture’s story and includes reading/listening preparation, explanation, summary, observations about theological significance, connections to the Great Story, and written assignments for further study. These features—combined with the authors’ engaging style—make Living God’s Word an ideal introductory college text, Sunday school elective, or small group study.
Table of Contents
- Preface: Why This Book?
- 1. Creation and Crisis: Who Am I and What Is Wrong?
- 2. Covenant: God Makes a Promise and Establishes a People
- 3. Calling Out: “I am the Lord who brought you up out of Egypt”
- 4. Commandments: Terms for Living in the Promised Land with God in Their Midst
- 5. Conquest and Canaanization: Good News and Bad News
- 6. Creation of the Kingdom: Nobodies and Somebodies
- 7. Communion and Common Sense: Worship and Other Ways to Live Wisely
- 8. Crumbling of the Kingdom: The Prophets and the End of Israel and Judah
- 9. Captivity and Coming Home: Surviving the Exile and Returning to the Land
- 10. Interlude: Time between the Testaments
- 11. Christ: Jesus Enters Our World
- 12. Christ: Jesus’ Message
- 13. Christ: Jesus’ Journey to Jerusalem
- 14. Christ: Jesus Dies on the Cross
- 15. Christ: Jesus Is Raised from the Dead
- 16. Church: The Coming of the Spirit
- 17. Church: In Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria
- 18. Church: The Mission to the Gentiles
- 19. Church: The Gospel Spreads from Jerusalem to Rome
- 20. Consummation: The Happy Ending to the Great Story
This title includes 3 Teaching Resources for instructors. These resources may include presentation slides, image and map libraries, quizzes and exam questions, and more.
This title includes 40 Study Resources for those wishing to enhance their learning. Watch videos featuring the textbook authors, test your knowledge with quizzes and flashcards, and more.
Sign in to your Zondervan Academic account to access TextbookPlus+ resources.
Don't have an account? Sign up today.