Bible Doctrine, Second Edition
Explore Answers to Life's Most Important Theological Questions. Over 175,000 Copies Sold!
How do we know the Bible is God's Word? What is sin and where did it come from? How is Jesus fully God and fully man? What are spiritual gifts? When and how will Christ return?
If you've asked questions like these, then systematic theology is no abstract term. It's an approach to finding answers every Christian needs to know. The second edition of Bible Doctrine takes a widely used upper-level textbook on systematic theology and makes it accessible. Abridged from the second edition of Wayne Grudem's award-winning Systematic Theology, Bible Doctrine covers the same essentials of the faith, giving you a firm grasp on seven key topics:
- The Doctrine of the Word of God
- The Doctrine of God
- The Doctrine of Man
- The Doctrine of Christ
- The Doctrine of the Application of Redemption
- The Doctrine of the Church
- The Doctrine of the Future.
You don't need to have had several years of Bible college or seminary training to reap the benefits of Bible Doctrine. It's easy to understand and packed with biblical answers to your most pressing theological questions.
This new edition is 144 pages longer than the first edition and now includes:
- New, thoughtful critiques of open theism, the new perspective on Paul, Molinism (or "middle knowledge"), "Free Grace" theology, and the preterist view of Christ's second coming
- Completely revised, stronger chapter on the clarity of Scripture
- Completely revised, stronger chapter on creation and evolution. New discussion of how biblical inerrancy applies to some specific "problem verses" in the Gospels
- Additional material respectfully explaining evangelical Protestant differences with Roman Catholicism (with extensive interaction with the Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church), Protestant liberalism, and Mormonism
- Completely updated bibliographies
- All Scripture quotations updated from RSV to ESV
- An explanation of why monogenes in John 3:16 and elsewhere should be translated as "only begotten" rather than merely "only"
- An extensive discussion on the eternal submission of the Son to the Father
- A discussion of recent criticisms of the penal substitutionary view of the atonement
- Numerous other updates and corrections that have be prompted by letters and emails from people around the world and by interaction with the students Wayne has taught over the last 26 years both at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and at Phoenix Seminary
About the Author
Wayne Grudem is distinguished research professor of Theology and Biblical Studies at Phoenix Seminary in Phoenix, Arizona. He holds degrees from Harvard (AB), Westminster Theological Seminary (MDiv, DD), and Cambridge (PhD). He is the author of more than 30 books including the bestselling Systematic Theology.
Chapter 1 - Introduction to Systematic Theology
- View Resource Chapter 1: Introduction to Systematic Theology
- Part I: - The Doctrine of the Word of God
Part II - The Doctrine of God
- View Resource Chapter 4: The Character of God— “Incommunicable” Attributes
- View Resource Chapter 5: The “Communicable” Attributes of God
- View Resource Chapter 6: The Trinity
- View Resource Chapter 7: Creation
- View Resource Chapter 8: God’s Providence
- View Resource Chapter 9: Prayer
- View Resource Chapter 10: Angels, Satan, and Demons
- Part III - Part III: The Doctrine of Man
- Part IV - The Doctrine of Christ
Part V - The Doctrine of the Application of Redemption
- View Resource Chapter 17: Common Grace
- View Resource Chapter 18: Election
- View Resource Chapter 19: The Gospel Call
- View Resource Chapter 20: Regeneration
- View Resource Chapter 21: Conversion (Faith and Repentance)
- View Resource Chapter 22: Justification and Adoption
- View Resource Chapter 23: Sanctification (Growth in Likeness to Christ)
- View Resource Chapter 24: The Perseverance of the Saints (Remaining a Christian)
- View Resource Chapter 25: Death, the Intermediate State, and Glorification
Part VI - The Doctrine of the Church
- View Resource Chapter 26: The Nature of the Church
- View Resource Chapter 27: Baptism
- View Resource Chapter 28: The Lord’s Supper
- View Resource Chapter 29: Gifts of the Holy Spirit (I)—General Questions
- View Resource Chapter 30: Gifts of the Holy Spirit (II)—Specific Gifts
- View Resource Chapter 31: The Return of Christ—When and How?
- View Resource Chapter 32: The Millennium
- View Resource Chapter 33: The Final Judgment and Eternal Punishment
- View Resource Chapter 34: The New Heavens and New Earth