SOUTHWESTERN JOURNAL OF THEOLOGY 2021 BOOK OF THE YEAR IN BIBLICAL STUDIES
CENTER FOR BIBLICAL STUDIES AT MIDWESTERN SEMINARY 2021 BOOK OF THE YEAR IN OLD TESTAMENT
Old Testament Use of Old Testament, by Gary Edward Schnittjer, surveys the hundreds of Old Testament allusions within the Old Testament and provides hermeneutical guidance for interpreting these interrelated scriptures.
The handbook takes an easy to navigate book-by-book approach. Schnittjer provides a list of Scripture allusions for each book and follows with an interpretive profile of how that book uses passages from elsewhere in the Old Testament. Specific criteria are applied to each allusion, providing readers with evaluation of the significance of each interpretive allusion. Minor allusions caused by style, figures of speech, and other minor elements are not included.
Responsible exegesis requires careful attention to interrelated scriptures, yet there is a host of interpretive difficulties related to Scripture's use of Scripture. Designed for ease-of-use for any serious student of the Bible, Old Testament Use of Old Testament offers a thorough, systematic tool to aid in evaluating scriptural interpretation of Scripture.
This dynamic tool equips students of the Bible to:
- Understand how the Old Testament uses the Old Testament
- Easily find the most important Old Testament allusions
- Grasp the complexity of Scripture's use of Scripture
- Evaluate the significance of interpretive allusions
- Gain exegetical insight into the study of interrelated Scriptures
About the Author
Gary Edward Schnittjer is Distinguished Professor of Old Testament in the School of Divinity at Cairn University. He is author of Torah Story and Old Testament Use of Old Testament.
- View Resource Instructions for Requesting Access to Instructor Resources 122.275 KB