Emotionally Healthy Discipleship
The global church is facing a discipleship crisis. Here's how we move forward into transformative discipleship...
Pastors and church leaders want to see lives changed by the gospel. They work tirelessly to care for people, initiate new ministries, preach creatively, and keep up with trends. Sadly, much of this effort does not result in deeply changed disciples.
Traditional discipleship strategies fail because they only address surface issues and do not go deep enough into the emotional health of individuals.
But transformative, emotionally healthy discipleship is a methods-based biblical theology that, when fully implemented, informs every area of a church, ministry, or organization. It is a discipleship structure built from the center that:
- Slows down our lives so we can cultivate a deep, personal relationship with Jesus.
- Challenges the values of Western culture that have compromised the radical call to follow the crucified Jesus.
- Integrates sadness, loss, and vulnerability, that, when left out, leave people defensive and easily triggered.
- Acknowledges God's gift of limits in our lives.
- Connects how our family and personal history influence our discipleship in the present.
- Measures our spiritual maturity by how we are growing in our ability to love others.
In Emotionally Healthy Discipleship, bestselling author Pete Scazzero takes leaders step-by-step through how to create an emotionally healthy culture and multiply deeply-changed people in every aspect of church life, including:
- Leadership and team development
- Marriage and single ministry
- Small groups and youth and children's ministry
- Preaching, worship, and administration
Complete with assessments and practical strategies, Emotionally Healthy Discipleship will help you move people to the beneath-the-surface discipleship that actually has the power to change the world.
**Winner of the 2022 ECPA Christian Book Award for Ministry Resources**
About the Author
Peter Scazzero, along with his wife, Geri, founded Emotionally Healthy Discipleship, a groundbreaking ministry that moves the church forward by slowing the church down, in order to multiply deeply changed leaders and disciples. This journey began when Pete founded New Life Fellowship Church in Queens, New York, a large, multiracial church with more than seventy-three countries represented—where he served as senior pastor for twenty-six years.
Pete hosts the top ranked Emotionally Healthy Leader podcast and is the author of a number of bestselling books, including Emotionally Healthy Spirituality, The Emotionally Healthy Leader, and Emotionally Healthy Discipleship. He is also the author of The Emotionally Healthy Discipleship Course (Parts 1 and 2), which has transformed tens of thousands of lives around the world. For more information, visit emotionallyhealthy.org or connect with Pete on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram at @petescazzero.
- View Resource Study & Discussion Guide 2.403 MB