Evangelical Theology, Second Edition
Gospel-Centered Theology for Today
Evangelical Theology, Second Edition helps today's readers understand and practice the doctrines of the Christian faith by presenting a gospel-centered theology that is accessible, rigorous, and balanced. According author Michael Bird the gospel is the fulcrum of Christian doctrine; the gospel is where God meets us and where we introduce the world to God. And as such, an authentically evangelical theology is the working out of the gospel in the various doctrines of Christian theology.
The text helps readers learn the essentials of Christian theology through several key features, including:
- A "What to Take Home" section at end of every part that gives readers a run-down on all the important things they need to know.
- Tables, sidebars, and questions for discussion to help reinforce key ideas and concepts
- A "Comic Belief" section, since reading theology can often be dry and cerebral, so that readers enjoy their learning experience through some theological humor added for good measure.
Now in its second edition, Evangelical Theology has proven itself in classrooms around the world as a resource that helps readers not only understand the vital doctrines of Christian theology but one that shows them how the gospel should shape how they think, pray, preach, teach, and minister in the world.
About the Author
Michael F. Bird is academic dean and lecturer in New Testament at Ridley College in Melbourne, Australia. He is the author or editor of more than thirty books, including What Christians Ought to Believe, Seven Things I Wish Christians Knew about the Bible, and Evangelical Theology. He writes at michaelfbird.substack.com and can be followed on twitter @mbird12.
Part 1 - PROLEGOMENA: BEGINNING TO TALK ABOUT GOD
- View Resource 1.1 What Is Theology?
- View Resource 1.2 What Do You Have to Say before You Say Anything?
- View Resource 1.3 What Is the Gospel?
- View Resource 1.4 Is Theology Possible?
- View Resource 1.5 The Necessity and Goal of Theology
- View Resource 1.6 Sources for Theology
- View Resource 1.7 Toward a Gospel-Driven Theological Method
- Part 2 - THE GOD OF THE GOSPEL: THE TRIUNE GOD IN BEING AND ACTION
Part 3 - THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM: THE NOW AND THE NOT YET
- View Resource 3.1 Gospel and Kingdom
- View Resource 3.2 What Is the Kingdom of God?
- View Resource 3.3 The Return of Jesus Christ
- View Resource 3.4 Millennium and Tribulation
- View Resource 3.5 The Final Judgment
- View Resource 3.6 The Intermediate State: What Happens When You Die?
- View Resource 3.7 The Final State: Heaven, Hell, and New Creation
Part 4 - THE GOSPEL OF GOD’S SON: THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
- View Resource 4.1 The Gospel of God’s Son
- View Resource 4.2 Christological Method
- View Resource 4.3 The Life of Jesus
- View Resource 4.4 The Death of Jesus
- View Resource 4.5 The Resurrection of Jesus
- View Resource 4.6 The Ascension and Session of Jesus
- View Resource 4.7 The Story of Jesus and the Identity of God
Part 5 - THE GOSPEL OF SALVATION
- View Resource 5.1 Saved by the Gospel
- View Resource 5.2 Redemptive History: The Plan for the Gospel
- View Resource 5.3 Order of Salvation: The Logical Working of the Gospel
- View Resource 5.4 Images of Salvation: The Result of the Gospel
- View Resource 5.5 Scope and Security: How Wide and How Certain a Salvation?
- Part 6 - THE PROMISE AND POWER OF THE GOSPEL: THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Part 7 - THE GOSPEL AND HUMANITY
- Part 8 - THE COMMUNITY OF THE GOSPELIZED
Experience Enhanced Editions
It takes less than 10 minutes to request and explore the FREE trial of this book in Enhanced Editions. Get started now.Start Free Trial
Discover more about the content and features in Enhanced Editions that help you learn faster and remember longer.Access Enhanced Edition