Pilgrim Theology is a map for Christians seeking to better understand the core beliefs of their faith.
Even though it's the study of God, theology has a reputation for being dry, abstract, and irrelevant for daily living. But theology is a matter of life and death. It affects the way you think, the decisions you make, the way you relate to God and the world.
Reformed theologian and professor Michael Horton wrote Pilgrim Theology as a more accessible companion to his award-winning systematic theology The Christian Faith: widely praised for its thorough treatment of the biblical and historical foundations of Christian doctrine.
In Pilgrim Theology, his focus is in putting the study of theology into the daily drama of discipleship. Each chapter will orient you toward a clear understanding about:
- Who God is.
- What our relationship is to him.
- And what our faith in Jesus Christ means in our daily walk as well as in the context of the narrative of Scripture and the community of the church.
Through accessible chapters on individual doctrines, as well as frequent "Key Distinction" boxes that succinctly explain the differences between important themes, you'll gain an understanding of doctrines that may have sounded like technical seminary terms to you before: justification, sanctification, glorification, union with Christ, and others.
You have a working theology already—an existing understanding of God. It's the goal of Pilgrim Theology to help you examine that understanding more closely and have it challenged and strengthened.
About the Author
Michael Horton (PhD) is Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary in California. Author of many books, including The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way, he also hosts the White Horse Inn radio program. He lives with his wife, Lisa, and four children in Escondido, California.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Why Study Theology?
1. Knowing God
2. God’s Written Word
3. The Living God
4. The Holy Trinity
5. Creation and Human Personhood
6. The Fall
7. Jesus Christ: the Lord Who Is Servant
8. The Work of Christ
9. The Spirit and the Kingdom
10. Chosen and Called
11. Union with Christ
12. Justified and Adopted
13. Sanctification and Perseverance
14. The Doctrine of Glorification
15. Word and Sacraments
16. Baptism and the Supper
17. The Church
18. The End Times
19. The Resurrection of the Body and the Life Everlasting
Making Necessary Distinctions: The Call to Discernment
From Drama to Discipleship: Applying the Coordinates to Key Doctrines
- View Resource Instructor Manual 788.48 KB
- View Resource Presentation Slides 16.547 MB
- View Resource Midterm Exam with Answers 72.192 KB
- View Resource Final Exam with Answers 69.632 KB
- View Resource Midterm Exam Study Guide 28.16 KB
- View Resource Final Exam Study Guide 28.16 KB
Chapter 1 - Knowing God
- View Resource Pilgrim Theology - Chapter 1 Flashcards
Chapter 2 - God’s Written Word
- View Resource Chapter 2 Flashcards
Chapter 3 - The Living God
- View Resource Chapter 3 Flashcards
Chapter 4 - The Holy Trinity
- View Resource Chapter 4 Flashcards
Chapter 5 - Creation and Human Personhood
- View Resource Chapter 5 Flashcards
Chapter 6 - The Fall
- View Resource Chapter 6 Flashcards
Chapter 7 - Jesus Christ: the Lord Who Is Servant
- View Resource Chapter 7 Flashcards
Chapter 8 - The Work of Christ
- View Resource Chapter 8 Flashcards
Chapter 9 - The Spirit and the Kingdom
- View Resource Chapter 9 Flashcards
Chapter 10 - Chosen and Called
- View Resource Chapter 10 Flashcards
Chapter 11 - Union with Christ
- View Resource Chapter 11 Flashcards
Chapter 12 - Justified and Adopted
- View Resource Chapter 12 Flashcards
Chapter 13 - Sanctification and Perseverance
- View Resource Chapter 13 Flashcards
Chapter 14 - The Doctrine of Glorification
- View Resource Chapter 14 Flashcards
Chapter 15 - Word and Sacraments
- View Resource Chapter 15 Flashcards
Chapter 16 - Baptism and the Supper
- View Resource Chapter 16 Flashcards
Chapter 17 - The Church
- View Resource Chapter 17 Flashcards
Chapter 18 - The End Times
- View Resource Chapter 18 Flashcards
Chapter 19 - The Resurrection of the Body and the Life Everlasting
- View Resource Chapter 19 Flashcards