The Bible is a collection of writings that together tell a unified story. But exactly how do all the pieces fit together? In a single volume, The Promise and the Blessing connects the dots of the Old and New Testament books to reveal the big picture of salvation history. Organized chronologically rather than canonically, this book traces the flow of Israel’s history and shows how the New Testament proceeds out of the Old. It begins with God’s creation of the cosmos and the initial problem of the fall of man. Then it traces God’s solutions to that problem as he selects first one man, Abraham, then his line, and then the nation of Israel to provide the Messiah. Finally, it focuses on the Messiah himself and looks at how the gospel of Jesus was spread throughout the known world.The Promise and the Blessing is easy to use and ideal for anyone who wants to understand the grand narrative of the Bible. It features numerous beautiful, full-color photos, as well as sidebars and brief, fascinating “breakouts” of supplementary information. Maps, illustrations, summaries, and insightful notes help to illuminate the text. Field-tested in the classroom, The Promise and the Blessing is designed for Old and New Testament survey classes and will provide all readers of the Bible with a better understanding of how the drama that began in Eden winds through Israel’s history to its fulfillment in Jesus Christ.
Table of Contents
- Part One: The Promise
- 1. The Origin of the Bible
- 2. This Is the Way the World Was
- 3. Why the World Is Such a Mess
- 4. Abraham and Son(s)
- 5. Jacob and His Tribes
- 6. Let My People Go!
- 7. Making a Nation Out of a Mob
- 8. Just a-Lookin’ for a Home
- 9. Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho—and Hazor Too
- 10. The Best of Times, the Worst of Times
- 11. Give Us a King Like the Rest of the Nations
- 12. A Kingdom United
- 13. The Failure of the North
- 14. The Roller-Coaster South
- 15. The Nation in Exile
- 16. Home Again
- Part Two: The Blessing
- 17. Bridges to the New Testament
- 18. Who Is Jesus the Messiah?
- 19. An Empty Tomb
- 20. The First Church Was Jewish
- 21. Reaching Out to Gentiles
- 22. What about the Gentiles?
- 23. Moving into Europe
- 24. Tentmaker and Troubleshooter
- 25. The Road to Rome
- 26. Rome and Beyond
- 27. The End of the Apostolic Age
- 28. But What about John?
This title includes 4 Teaching Resources for instructors. These resources may include presentation slides, image and map libraries, quizzes and exam questions, and more.
This title includes 0 Study Resources for those wishing to enhance their learning. Watch videos featuring the textbook authors, test your knowledge with quizzes and flashcards, and more.
Sign in to your Zondervan Academic account to access TextbookPlus+ resources.
Don't have an account? Sign up today.