A Theology of Paul and His Letters
A landmark study of the apostle's writings by one of the world's leading Pauline scholars.
Winner of the 2022 ECPA Christian Book Award for Bible Reference Works
This highly anticipated volume gives pastors, scholars, and all serious students of the New Testament exactly what they need for in-depth study and engagement with one of Christian history's most formative thinkers and writers. A Theology of Paul and His Letters is a landmark study of the apostle's writings by one of the world's leading Pauline scholars Douglas J. Moo. Fifteen years in the making, this groundbreaking work is organized into three major sections:
- Part 1 provides an overview of the issues involved in doing biblical theology in general and a Pauline theology in particular. Here Moo also sets out the methodological issues, formative influences, and conceptual categories of Paul's thought.
- Part 2 moves on to Paul's New Testament writings, where Moo describes each Pauline letter with particular relevance to its theology.
- Part 3 offers a masterful synthesis of Paul’s theology under the overarching theme of the gift of the new realm in Christ.
Engaging, insightful, and wise, this substantive, evangelical treatment of Paul's theology offers extensive engagement with the latest Pauline scholarship without sacrificing its readability. This volume brings insights from over thirty years of experience studying, teaching, and writing about Paul into one comprehensive guide that will serve readers as a go-to resource for decades to come.
ABOUT THE SERIES: The Biblical Theology of the New Testament (BTNT) series provides upper college and seminary-level textbooks for students of New Testament theology, interpretation, and exegesis. Pastors and discerning theology readers alike will also benefit from this series. Written at the highest level of academic excellence by recognized experts in the field, the BTNT series not only offers a comprehensive exploration of the theology of every book of the New Testament, including introductory issues and major themes, but also shows how each book relates to the broad picture of New Testament Theology.
"Moo has produced here a massive and monumental work on Pauline theology that will teach readers for decades to come.”
—Rev. Michael F. Bird (PhD University of Queensland), Academic Dean and Lecturer in Theology, Ridley College in Melbourne, Australia
"Doug Moo’s A Theology of Paul and His Letters is a book all scholars and pastors should have on their shelves. It gives a sane and very well-reasoned interpretation of the key topics in Paul’s theology ... the “New Perspective,” justification, grace, and the necessary transformation of true believers."
—G. K. Beale, Professor of New Testament, Reformed Theological Seminary
About the Author
Douglas J. Moo (PhD, University of St. Andrews) is the Kenneth T. Wessner Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College. His work centers on understanding the text of the New Testament and its application today. He has written extensively in several commentary series, including the NIV Application Commentary and the New International Commentary on the New Testament. With is son Jonathan Moo, he coauthored Creation Care: A Biblical Theology of the Natural World, part of Zondervan’s Biblical Theology for Life series.
Chapter 1 - Approaching Paul's Theology
- View Resource Chapter 1 Flashcards
Chapter 2 - The Shape of Paul's Thought
- View Resource Chapter 2 Flashcards
Chapter 3 - Paul, Missionary Theologian
- View Resource Chapter 3 Flashcards
Chapter 4 - Galatians
- View Resource Chapter 4 Flashcards
Chapter 5 - 1 Thessalonians
- View Resource Chapter 5 Flashcards
Chapter 6 - 2 Thessalonians
- View Resource Chapter 6 Flashcards
Chapter 7 - 1 Corinthians
- View Resource Chapter 7 Flashcards
Chapter 8 - 2 Corinthians
- View Resource Chapter 8 Flashcards
Chapter 9 - Romans
- View Resource Chapter 9 Flashcards
Chapter 10 - Colossians
- View Resource Chapter 10 Flashcards
Chapter 12 - Ephesians
- View Resource Chapter 12 Flashcards
Chapter 13 - Philippians
- View Resource Chapter 13 Flashcards
Chapter 14 - 1 Timothy
- View Resource Chapter 14 Flashcards
Chapter 15 - Titus
- View Resource Chapter 15 Flashcards
Chapter 17 - The Center of the New Realm
- View Resource Chapter 17 Flashcards
Chapter 18 - The Inauguration of the New Realm
- View Resource Chapter 18 Flashcards
Chapter 19 - The Old Realm: The Context for the Good News
- View Resource Chapter 19 Flashcards
Chapter 20 - The Blessings of the New Realm
- View Resource Chapter 20 Flashcards
Chapter 21 - Entering the New Realm
- View Resource Chapter 21 Flashcards
Chapter 22 - The Consummation of the New Realm
- View Resource Chapter 22 Flashcards
Chapter 24 - Living in the New Realm
- View Resource Chapter 24 Flashcards