Church History, Volume One: From Christ to the Pre-Reformation
Church History, Volume One offers a unique contextual view of how the Christian church spread and grew from its development in the days of Jesus to the years leading up to the Reformation.
Looking closely at the integral link between the history of the world and that of the church, Church History paints a portrait of God's people within its setting of times, cultures, and events that both influenced and were influenced by the church.
- Maps, charts, and illustrations spanning the time from the first through the thirteenth centuries.
- Overviews of the Roman, Greek, and Jewish worlds and how they developed or declined.
- Insights into the church's relationship to the Roman Empire, with glimpses into pagan attitudes toward Christians.
- Explanations of the role of art, architecture, literature, and philosophy—both sacred and secular—in the Church.
- Details on the major theological controversies of the periods.
Each chapter also contains callout passages from Scripture to assist in understanding the narrative of the Church, even to the present day, as part of the greater narrative of the Bible.
Scholar and writer Everett Ferguson wrote this history of the church from the perspective that such a history is the story of the greatest movement and community the world has known. It's a human story of a divinely called people who wanted to live by a divine revelation. It's a story of how they succeeded and how they failed or fell short of their calling.
From the Apostle Paul to the apologists and martyrs of the second century to Martin Luther, the historical figures detailed are people who have struggled with the meaning of the greatest event in history—the coming of the Son of God—and with their role in that event and in the lives of God's people.
About the Author
Everett Ferguson (PhD, Harvard) is professor emeritus of Bible and distinguished scholar-in-residence at Abilene Christian University in Abilene, Texas, where he taught church history and Greek. He is the author of numerous works, including Backgrounds of Early Christianity, Early Christians Speak, and Baptism in the Early Church: History, Theology, and Liturgy in the First Five Centuries. He was also general editor of the two-volume Encyclopedia of Early Christianity.
Table of Contents
1. The Setting for the Story’s Beginning
2. Jesus and the Beginnings of the Church
3. The Subapostolic Age
4. The Church and the Empire
5. Heresies and Schisms in the Second Century
6. The Defense against Rival Interpretations
7. The Fathers of the Old Catholic Church and Their Problems
8. Church Life in the Second and Third Centuries
9. Development of the Church during the Third Century
10. Diocletian and Constantine: On the Threshold of the Fourth Century
11. The Church in the Fourth Century: Doctrine, Organization, and Literature
12. Monasticism, Expansion, Life, and Worship: The Church in the Fourth Century
13. Christological Controversies to Chalcedon (451)
14. Augustine, Pelagius, and Semipelagianism
15. Transitions to the Middle Ages: Germanic Migrations, Doctrinal Developments, and the Papacy
16. Eastern and Western Churches in the Fifth and Sixth Centuries
17. The Eastern Churches from the Seventh to Eleventh Centuries
18. The Western Church from the Seventh to Ninth Centuries
19. Decline and Renewal of Vitality in the West: The Ninth to the Eleventh Centuries
20. The Papal Reform Movement and the First Crusade
21. Intellectual Revival: The Rise of Scholasticism
22. Monastic, Literary, Political, and Cultural Activities in the Twelfth Century
23. The Glory of the Western Medieval Church: The Thirteenth Century
24. Portents of Decline
Timeline from Christ to Pre-Reformation
- View Resource Instructor Manual 856.064 kB
- View Resource Instructions for Obtaining Instructor Presentation Slides 28.16 kB
- View Resource Instructions for Obtaining Image Library 24.576 kB
- View Resource Image Sample 2.49 MB
- View Resource Map Sample 507.913 kB
- View Resource Instructor Manual for Enhanced Editions Users 3.251 MB
- View Resource Presentation Slide Sample 740.472 kB
Chapter 1 - The Setting for the Story's Beginning
- View Resource Chapter 1 Flashcards
Chapter 2 - Jesus and the Beginnings of the Church
- View Resource Chapter 2 Flashcards
Chapter 3 - The Subapostolic Age
- View Resource Chapter 3 Flashcards
Chapter 4 - The Church and the Empire
- View Resource Chapter 4 Flashcards
Chapter 5 - Heresies and Schisms in the Second Century
- View Resource Chapter 5 Flashcards
Chapter 6 - The Defense Against Rival Interpretations
- View Resource Chapter 6 Flashcards
Chapter 7 - The Fathers of the Old Catholic Church and Their Problems
- View Resource Chapter 7 Flashcards
Chapter 8 - Church Life in the Second and Third Centuries
- View Resource Chapter 8 Flashcards
Chapter 9 - Development of the Church in the Third Century
- View Resource Chapter 9 Flashcards
Chapter 10 - Diocletian and Constantine—On the Threshold of the Fourth Century
- View Resource Chapter 10 Flashcards
Chapter 11 - The Church in the Fourth Century—Doctrine, Organization, and Literature
- View Resource Chapter 11 Flashcards
Chapter 12 - The Church in the Fourth and Early Fifth Centuries—Monasticism, Expansion, Life, and Worship
- View Resource Chapter 12 Flashcards
Chapter 13 - Christological Controversies to Chalcedon (451)
- View Resource Chapter 13 Flashcards
Chapter 14 - Augustine, Pelagius, and Semipelagianism
- View Resource Chapter 14 Flashcards
Chapter 15 - Transitions to the Middle Ages
- View Resource Chapter 15 Flashcards
Chapter 16 - Eastern and Western Churches in the Fifth and Sixth Centuries
- View Resource Chapter 16 Flashcards
Chapter 17 - The Eastern Church from the Seventh to Eleventh Centuries
- View Resource Chapter 17 Flashcards
Chapter 18 - The Western Church from the Seventh to Ninth Centuries
- View Resource Chapter 18 Flashcards
Chapter 19 - Decline and Renewal of Vitality in the West
- View Resource Chapter 19 Flashcards
Chapter 20 - The Papal Reform Movement and the First Crusade
- View Resource Chapter 20 Flashcards
Chapter 21 - Intellectual Revival—the Rise of Scholasticism
- View Resource Chapter 21 Flashcards
Chapter 22 - Monastic, Literary, Political, and Cultural Activities in the Twelfth Century
- View Resource Chapter 22 Flashcards
Chapter 23 - The Glory of the Western Medieval Church
- View Resource Chapter 23 Flashcards
Chapter 24 - Chapter 24: The Glory of the Western Medieval Church
- View Resource Chapter 24 Flashcards
Church History: From Christ to the Pre-Reformation offers an introduction to church history that integrates the events and developments of the church with the social, economic, and intellectual history of the broader world around it.
Experience Enhanced Editions
It takes less than 10 minutes to request and explore the FREE trial of this book in Enhanced Editions. Get started now.Start Free Trial
Discover more about the content and features in Enhanced Editions that help you learn faster and remember longer.Access Enhanced Edition