Clear. Understandable. Carefully organized. Basics of Biblical Hebrew Grammar by Gary D. Pratico and Miles V. Van Pelt is the standard textbook for colleges and seminaries. Since its initial publication in 2001 its integrated approach has helped more than 80,000 students learn Biblical Hebrew.
The third edition of Basics of Biblical Hebrew Grammar represents a significant updating and revision of the previous edition with the goal of providing students with the best possible tool for learning Biblical Hebrew.
Some of the keys to the effectiveness of Basics of Biblical Hebrew Grammar in helping students learn is that it:
- Combines the best of inductive and deductive approaches
- Uses actual examples from the Hebrew Old Testament rather than "made-up" illustrations
- Emphasizes the structural pattern of the Hebrew language rather than rote memorization, resulting in a simple, enjoyable, and effective learning process
- Employs colored text that highlights key features of nouns and verbs, allowing easy recognition of new forms
- Includes appendices of verbal paradigms and diagnostics for fast reference and a complete vocabulary glossary
- Displays larger font and text size, making reading easier
By the time students have worked their way through Basics of Biblical Hebrew Grammar they will have learned:
- The Hebrew Alphabet
- Vocabulary for words occurring 70 times or more in the Hebrew Bible
- The Hebrew noun system
- The Hebrew verbal system
A robust suite of learning aids is available for purchase to be used alongside the textbook to help students excel in their studies. These include a workbook; video lectures for each chapter featuring the author; flashcards keyed to vocabulary in each chapter; a laminated study sheet with key concepts; audio of the vocabulary for each chapter to aid in acquisition; and a compact guide to help refresh students refresh their memory on language forms, grammar, and word meanings.
About the Authors
Gary D. Pratico (ThD, Harvard Divinity School) is senior professor of Old Testament and Hebrew language at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. He has been teaching Hebrew for more than thirty years and is coauthor with Miles V. Van Pelt of Basics of Basics of Biblical Hebrew (grammar and workbook) and The Vocabulary Guide to Biblical Hebrew.
Miles Van Pelt (PhD, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) is the Alan Belcher Professor of Old Testament and Biblical Languages at Reformed Theological Seminary in Jackson, Mississippi, where he also serves as academic dean. Miles lives in Madison, Mississippi, with his wife, Laurie, and their four children.
- View Resource Presentation Slides Sample 270.933 kB
- View Resource Student Learning Objectives 22.915 kB
- View Resource Third Edition Updates List 627.034 kB
- View Resource Workbook Answer Key 3.037 MB
- View Resource Instructor Manual for Enhanced Editions Users 3.251 MB
- View Resource Presentation Slides 63.36 MB
- View Resource Quizzes and Exams 3.769 MB
- View Resource Answer Keys for Quizzes and Exams 4.238 MB
Experience Enhanced Editions
It takes less than 10 minutes to request and explore the FREE trial of this book in Enhanced Editions. Get started now.Start Free Trial
Discover more about the content and features in Enhanced Editions that help you learn faster and remember longer.Access Enhanced Edition