Five Views on the GospelComing Soon Request an Exam Copy
Five Views on the Gospel presents five different perspectives on the question "What is the gospel?" Presenting a variety of contemporary and tradition-based perspectives, each contributor answers key questions about the nature of the gospel. Questions contributors address include:
- What is the gospel?
- What is the context for understanding the New Testament teaching about the gospel?
- What are the primary biblical texts that you believe express the gospel and how do you understand them?
- What are people called to do with the gospel and what are the benefits promised by the gospel?
- How can the definition and proclamation of the gospel be contextualized and made relevant today?
- What example of an inadequate gospel and a false gospel can you offer?
- What does it mean to live a life worthy of the gospel?
The CounterPoints format provides a unique opportunity for each contributor to set forth their own understanding of the gospel, to interact with competing perspectives, and for the editors to sum up points of agreement and disagreement and a path forward in the debate.
- Positions and Contributors include:
- Reformation Gospel (Michael Horton)
- King Jesus Gospel (Scot McKnight)
- Wesleyan Gospel (David A. deSilva)
- Asian Pentecostal Gospel (Julie C. Ma)
- Liberation Theology Gospel (Shively T. J. Smith)
The Counterpoints series presents a comparison and critique of scholarly views on topics important to Christians that are both fair-minded and respectful of the biblical text. Each volume is a one-stop reference that allows readers to evaluate the different positions on a specific issue and form their own, educated opinion.
About the Authors
Michael Horton (PhD) is Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary in California. Author of many books, including The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way, he also hosts the White Horse Inn radio program. He lives with his wife, Lisa, and four children in Escondido, California.
Scot McKnight is Professor of New Testament at Northern Seminary in Lisle, Illinois. He is the author of more than eighty books, including the award-winning The Jesus Creed as well as The King Jesus Gospel, A Fellowship of Differents, One.Life, The Blue Parakeet, and Kingdom Conspiracy. He maintains an active blog at www.christianitytoday.com/scot-mcknight. He and his wife, Kristen, live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, where they enjoy long walks, gardening, and cooking.