Do Christians, Muslims, and Jews Worship the Same God?: Four ViewsNot Available Request an Exam Copy
During a time of global conflict, the theological question of whether Muslims, Jews, and Christians worship the same God carries political baggage. Is the God of ISIS the same as the God of Israel? Do Sunni Muslims and Protestant Christians pray to the same Creator and Sustainer of the universe?
In this Counterpoints volume, five leading scholars present the main religious perspectives on this question, demonstrating how to think carefully about an issue where opinions differ and confusion abounds.
- All Worship the Same God: Religious Pluralist View (Wm. Andrew Schwartz and John B. Cobb, Jr.)
- All Worship the Same God: Referring to the Same God View (Francis J. Beckwith)
- Jews and Christians Worship the Same God: Shared Revelation View (Gerald R. McDermott)
- None Worship the Same God: Different Conceptions View (Jerry L. Walls)
Contributors examine related subtopics such as:
- The difference between God being referentially the same and essentially the same
- What "the same" means when referring to God
- The significance of the Trinity in this discussion
- Whether religious inclusivism is inferred by certain understandings of God's sameness
- The appropriateness of interfaith worship.
Additional essays by Joseph Cumming and David W. Shenk explore the implications of this question specifically for Christians wanting to minister among, and build relationships with, Muslims. Insightful, gracious, and relevant, Do Christians, Muslims, and Jews Worship the Same God? sheds light on one of the most important theological issues of our day.
The Counterpoints series presents a comparison and critique of scholarly views on topics important to Christians that are both fair-minded and respectful of the biblical text. Each volume is a one-stop reference that allows readers to evaluate the different positions on a specific issue and form their own, educated opinion.
- Product Details
- Page Count: 240
- Format: Softcover
- ISBN: 9780310538035
- Release: October 22, 2019